Right now, the voices of many Afghan women are muted for security and safety. They will emerge again. Now, it is our voices that need to be heard supporting all Afghans, especially the women and girls in Afghanistan. We urge you to speak up for their protection and show your solidarity. Women and girls cannot be visible so we must be. Sahar believes in the future of Afghanistan and its people and we must support them now in every way possible. Please use the following resources to support those in Afghanistan:
Engagement of Our Community
- Sahar Board Member, Shinkai Hakimi, shared her thoughts on the unfolding humanitarian crisis, “a genocide of hope for millions of women in Afghanistan” on her facebook page.
- Sahar Board member, Nadia Hashimi, feature on NPR “An Afghan Author On Losing Her Homeland — For The Second Time” discussing her latest book and personal experience. She shared informative videos on her instagram account about the impacts of Taliban control of Afghanistan.
- Program Manager, Shogofa, was interviewed for local Seattle news staion, King-5 about her perspective on the crisis.
- The Seattle Times article “Seattle-area Afghans enduring sleepless nights, terrified for family in hiding under Taliban rule” about Afghans in Seattle.
Campaign for Humanitarian Crisis
- AMEN has compiled a list of petitions and methods for congressional advocacy. Sign petitions here.
- Post your messages in support of Afghanistan with the #IStandWithAfghanGirls and #IstandwithAfghans on social media platforms
- Contact your representatives and demand that the U.S. expand its visa programs to allow NGO workers and supporters to apply for visas while they are trapped in Afghanistan.
- Text ‘CRISIS’ to 52886
- Send the auto populated letter then click the call button to call your representatives.
- Use this prompt to guide your message: I am calling to urge my representative to support the immediate evacuation of vulnerable groups from Afghanistan and to continue those evacuations until everybody vulnerable has been evacuated. Additionally, I am demanding that humanitarian aid be provided in this time of crisis.
- Cite Canada as an example of a country that is providing adequate support to Afghan refugees.
- Share the four action points from the Washington Post opinion article discussing what the United States can do to support Afghan women.
Support Women’s Rights Activists and Journalists
The Alliance for International Women’s rights suggests, if you know any women’s rights advocates or professionals in Afghanistan, send them the link to Canada’s visa program, which has recently been opened up to women’s rights advocates: (Please note that as of the date this was written, the website has not yet been updated to include the expanded eligibility requirements; more information about the expanded eligibility can be found in this article. Afghan citizens can apply for the visa even while in another country.
Support Relief Efforts
- In this moment of humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan, please consider donating directly to established, vetted and reputable organizations working in Afghanistan. The list below has been compiled includes organizations/efforts that the Afghan American Foundation board members and other community individuals have placed a great deal of trust into. Emergency Donations links to reputable organizations providing life-saving care in Afghanistan can be found here.
- Donate to the GlobalGiving Afghan Relief Fund. GlobalGiving aims to raise $3 million to provide urgent support to locally-led organizations helping people and families across Afghanistan, support activists and journalists, and meet other emerging needs during this rapidly changing situation by partnering with vetted local non profit organizations.
- The Alliance for International Women’s Rights has compiled a list of relief organizations to donate to that can be found here.
- Afghan Health Initiative’s list of “How Our Allies Can Help”
- Afghan Diaspora Hub — collection of resources and ways to help across the country: www.afgdiasporahub.com
- CWS Resource Compilation
- SIV Rapid Response: Social Media Toolkit
Resources for Afghan Refugees in WA State
- International Rescue Committee Seattle: How to help our Afghan neighbors in Washington
- Lutheran Community Services Northwest: Extend a Welcoming Hand to Refugees Arriving in the Northwest
- Refugee Starter Kit (pdf)
- World Relief Seattle: Resources for Afghan Community Support
AMEN has put together the following of resources:
- Sign up with AirBnB to offer a place to stay for Afghan refugees: www.airbnb.org/get-involved
- Donate goods to World Relief: https://worldrelief.org/seattle/get-involved/donate-goods/
- Donate items from the Amazon Wishlist by IRC in Seattle: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/38EPMHQLSWOHO
- Donate items from the Amazon Wish List by Jewish Family Services Refugee & Immigrant Services: https://www.amazon.com/registries/custom/30OKQF4EANM4V/guest-view
- Sign up to volunteer with Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services (LIRS): https://www.tfaforms.com/4922177
- Sign up to volunteer with World Relief: https://worldrelief.org/seattle/get-involved/volunteer/
- Volunteer as a foster parent for Afghan youth (especially if you are Afghan-American): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfn084BwnQI6QkS2dCUGmFql833RmrJPNJUwL0Yze0JFrRurA/viewform
- [CURRENTLY CLOSED – may reopen in future] Sign up to provide temporary housing to Afghan refugees by Afghan Health Initiative: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdny1z5–zvLomQv0bL5U2qFks38OI1cSlgSWJxs4A_1F-ivw/viewform
Most importantly, please donate generously to the Emergency Afghan Refugee Fund for WA State just launched by MAPS-MCRC (Muslim Community Resource Center) and partner organizations (including Afghan Health Initiative, SCM Medical Missions, Kits For Peace, and more): www.launchgood.com/WAafghanFund.
- In addition to the Emergency Afghan Refugee Fund, here are other campaigns you may wish to financially support:
o Afghan Health Initiative Campaign: www.afghanhealth.org/donate
o SCM Medical Missions Refugee Resettlement Campaign: https://www.scmmedicalmissions.org/resettlement/
o Kits For Peace Afghan Refugee Support Fund: https://www.scmmedicalmissions.org/resettlement/
o Welcome WA Fund by IRC: https://www.facebook.com/donate/1499796960360335/
o World Relief Campaign: https://worldrelief.org/seattle/get-involved/afghan-allies/#giveo LIRS Neighbors in Need, Afghan Allies Fund Campaign: https://secure2.convio.net/lirs/site/Donation2?df_id=4079&4079.donation=form1&mfc_pref=T/&link_id=1&can_id=a70bc5662ad828ff6bfbb0a7b35cf461&source=email-action-alert-84&email_referrer=email_1265599&email_subject=action-alert