Sahar Education is actively seeking experienced, passionate, and diverse board members to help guide the organization as it grows.
“Sahar partners with grassroots, Afghan-based organizations to create educational opportunities and safe learning spaces for girls and women in Afghanistan, empowering and inspiring children and their families to build peaceful, thriving communities.”
After the Taliban banned formal education for girls above 6th grade, Sahar is finding innovative ways to promote girls’ access to education in Afghanistan. It is now more important than ever to show up for girls’ education in Afghanistan in any capacity possible.
ABOUT SAHAR EDUCATION
Sahar began as Journey with an Afghan School, a group founded to build bridges of understanding between the U.S. and Afghanistan for peace and cooperation in 2001. Since then, Sahar has expanded: building schools, and computer centers, and managing teacher training programs in Northern Afghanistan. Sahar became a stand-alone non-profit in 2009 in order to expand and continue our efforts. Sahar has worked in this war zone for nearly two decades to increase the status of girls and women in Afghanistan through education, enabling them to participate actively in the social, political, and economic arenas in their communities.
Sahar approaches girls’ education from multiple levels because we know that it takes a holistic approach to create real change. We work with partners in the U.S. and on the ground in Afghanistan to create safe learning spaces and, deliver educational and vocational training programs, and women empowerment and health workshops. These projects bolster local economies and strengthen communities, as well as fortify bonds between Afghanistan and the West.
Sahar serves girls in Tajik, Pashtun, Hazara, and Uzbek communities – rural as well as in the urban environment of Mazar-i-Sharif, and Kabul. With formal secondary education banned for girls in Afghanistan, we are partnering with local schools and organizations to provide underground coding and English, IT, and Women Empowerment courses. These innovative courses are led by locals and supported by training and funding from Sahar.
Sahar follows a disciplined and careful process focused on lasting change in the region. Our projects always address a clear educational need, have the support of local communities, and are implemented by an Afghan workforce.
Sahar helps thousands of Afghan girls get into school and stay in school. Our programs provide:
• Access to education
• Digital literacy
• Teacher training
• Early marriage prevention education
SAHAR BOARD: AN OPPORTUNITY TO JOIN A VIBRANT INTERNATIONAL TEAM
Sahar Board Members will have the privilege of working collaboratively with our US and Afghan team, creating programs and building schools that genuinely change lives. The board provides strategic direction and oversight to our well-established non-profit, ensuring we are the best stewards possible for our supporters and the people of Afghanistan.
SAHAR EDUCATION NEEDS YOU IF…
• You are passionate about access to education.
• You are excited about creating opportunities for girls, women, and families in Afghanistan.
• You communicate well and can build awareness of Sahar and expand our connections to grow our organization’s awareness and support.
• You want to be a part of a dynamic board and have the time and energy to spend 5-8 hours a month doing board work: attending board meetings, participating in committee work, and being an ambassador for Sahar in your community.
• You want to build partnerships for Sahar to expand its local and global network.
WE ARE ESPECIALLY INTERESTED IN TALKING TO YOU IF…
• You have prior non-profit board experience and are ready to bring your experience and insight to another organization.
• You are an experienced fundraiser and enthusiastic about sharing your skills.
• You have a personal connection to Afghanistan.
• You have experience in finance and/or accounting.
INTERESTED IN JOINING US?
Sahar is seeking to bring on new board members to serve three-year terms beginning June 2023. Please email [email protected] with any questions and to receive the short online application. Interested candidates must complete an application by June 30th, and will be interviewed by our recruiting team.
Get PDF announcement